Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Loot.


Quite often, I am asked by people if I would come out to their car and take a look at the treasures they have to offer. Well, let me tell ya that sends a sense of dread to every pore in my body. I've seen it all. Grandma's and Auntie's fine European linens that wreak of something more than mildew, "Farm house" tables with the veneer warping off of the top beyond repair that they only want 300.00 for... and don't get me started on the crafts.

Anyway, the other day I was at Julie's Upscale Resale. I was in the back room when I heard her say "no, but Angie is here and they would probably do much better in her shop. We can't get that kind of money here". Dammit.
Sigh.
"Here she is...." as I gather/brace myself, I see that it's someone I know. Really only as a customer, but I know she has really good taste. She probably wants a zillion dollars for what ever it is she's peddling. Well, I'm cornered now.
(I'm keeping her name out of the story, BTW.)
"Hi, Angie. I've got a collection of flat, white McCoy that I just need to move on from. 34 pieces. I could drop if off at your shop and you could look at it to see if you want it".
Well, that didn't sound too bad. I was dreading having to go through each piece and make an offer, but okay.
She shows up a couple of days later, we unload it she wants a lump sum for it (no need to waste time going through each piece, yipee!), and here's my price.
In five minutes the deal was done.
She made some money and left me room to mark it up (you know for things like paying the rent, ect...) AND making it a very fair price for my customers.



How about that?!
It's so gorgeous and as I write this, I'm kicking myself for not just bringing it all home.
That was fun, and tells me that I shouldn't cringe every time someone approaches me. And well, I know better than Julie putting me on the spot... she would never, unless she knew it could be worth it... Thanks Julie!


I've been working late the past couple of nights as so much is flying out of the store and I have to re-arrange. Check out the above pic. Those hooks are old ones that people used to put receipts or messages on. I fluffed some fabric on them and them some old photos. Clearly I was in a hurry, because I would have dolled and layered a lot more, but you get the idea.


We're loving these coin and make up bags with London and Paris postcard covers.




I also came across a stash of great old photos. I'm selling them for a buck a piece if you're needing something for a project, or instant relatives.

So that's that. I'll be spending this week getting ready for our trunk show.
It's just the best time.
Shopping in the gardens for clothing and jewelry, eating quiche, artisan cheeses and fresh fruit tarts... and spending time with old friends.
Hope to see you there!

3 comments:

I love to hear from you!